Our desire is to equip you in your discipleship to Jesus. Each week we will have a new practice to help you grow as you walk in the new life you are freely given through Jesus.
Practice for the Week of November 22
We are going through what we call the Discipleship Habits. This week we looked at Discipling Relationships or DRs. If you did not catch this pass week’s message, we encourage you to watch it on our Facebook page.
The mission of Water’s Edge is that we are disciples who make disciples who make disciples. A disciple is person who is learning to submit their entire life to Jesus and is learning to teach other people how to do that too. This process does not happen by accident. It is an intentional process that takes time and commitment.
The simplest way that this process can begin is by entering into a DR with one other person or a triad (2 other people, 3 total). This week we are praying for and encouraging everyone to begin finding a DR.
Here is a basic outline of your weekly time together:
- Before you meet, pick a Bible passage you will all be mediating on prior to your time together.
- Ask these 3 questions:
- What did you sense God saying to you from your time in this passage this week?
- What are you going to do about what he is asking you to do?
- How can the other person or people pray for you and hold you accountable to this?
- Everyone will process through these questions.
- Then everyone will pray for each other.
- Pick another passage to mediate on for the following week.
Some Helpful Guidelines
- Commit to meet once a week for 1 hour. No less than twice a month is recommended.
- Pick a time and place you can have an open and honest conversation and pray with one another.
- The aim is not to gain more knowledge but to grow in listening to God and obeying what he says to you in your everyday life.
- The bible passages are meant to help you see how God is moving in your everyday life. As you discuss them you will be amazed at how the holy Spirit opens your eyes and guides you.
- If a big event happened in your life talk about that! This is about real life!
If you do not know who to enter into a DR with, spend a week praying about it and asking God to show you who that person is. Or you can reach out to Pastor Mark or Pastor Anthony and they can help pair you up with someone.