- This event has passed.
October 15 @ 5:30 pm - October 17 @ 10:00 am
When: October 15-17
Where: Camp All Saints (418 Stanton Way, Pottsboro) – camp website
Cost: $160* (includes 3 meals on Saturday, breakfast on Sunday, and retreat t-shirt) *Please contact Pastor Mark with any questions or for scholarship assistance.
About the Speaker
David Zahl is the founder and director of Mockingbird Ministries, editor-in-chief of the Mockingbird website (www.mbird.com), and co-host of The Mockingcast. He and his family live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he also serves on the staff of Christ Episcopal Church, supervising their adult education and ministry to college students. Zahl is the author of A Mess of Help: From the Crucified Soul of Rock N’ Roll and coauthor of Law and Gospel: A Theology for Sinners (and Saints). His most recent book, Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What To Do About It, appeared in 2019 from Fortress Press. His writing has been featured in The Washington Post, Christianity Today, and The Guardian, among other venues.
Bombarded with poll results about declining levels of church attendance and belief in God, we assume that more and more people are abandoning faith and making their own meaning. But what these polls fail to report is that the marketplace in replacement religion is booming—and we’ve got the anxiety to prove it, even those of us who call Jesus our lord and savior. Join us as we take a fresh look at the burgeoning phenomenon of ‘seculosity’ and a few of the fresh opportunities facing believers in the midst of it, especially in the wake of the pandemic. The aim will be to bring us a fresh appreciation for the grace of God in all its countercultural wonder.
Feel free to order his book ahead of time:
Friday Night, October 15
5:30 PM Arrive at location, check into rooms, and get settled
7:00 PM Welcome introduction and tone setting
7:15 PM Group lesson by David Zahl
8:15 PM Group Activity
8:45 PM Free time & Fellowship
Saturday, October 16
8:00 AM Breakfast
9:00 AM Group lesson by David Zahl
11:00 AM Alone time to purposefully process the group lesson
11:30 AM Lunch
12:30 PM Outing to the Biggs’ Family Farm (fishing, pistol/rifle range, skeet shooting, other activities)
5:30 PM Dinner
6:30 PM Group lesson by David Zahl
8:30 PM Free time & Fellowship
Sunday, October 17
8:00 AM Breakfast
9:00 AM Worship
10:00 AM Departure
What to Bring
- Sheets, blanket or sleeping bag
- Folding chair / camping chair
- Personal toiletries – soap, shampoo, toothbrush/paste, deodorant
- Rain gear / jacket / hat
- Bible / notepad / pen
- Cooler & beverages*
(*Alcohol is permitted in the evenings during “free time”, if consumed responsibly and in moderation. If you would like to bring beverages to share, you can.)
When to arrive:
- You can start arriving as early as 5:30 PM. Please check in for your name tags, books & shirts. There will be no meal Friday evening, so eat before you arrive, or bring something with you.
Bring some extra cash:
- The Ashcraft family allows us to use their farm at no cost. However, there is wear and tear we put on the place. We will be collecting cash donations to help offset the cost to clean up and repair the hand gun and rifle range.
- The staff at Brookhaven does a great job of taking care of us. On Sunday we will take up a tip to reward the staff for their generosity and hard work.
- Some of us that will be arriving on the early side may order some pizza before we get started.
- On Saturday we will be going to the Biggs’ Family Farm for manly activities such as fishing, skeet shooting, range shooting (rifles/ handguns), and hiking, canoeing, etc. If you have any outdoor games, such as corn hole, horseshoe and washers, please bring them along.
- The address of the farm is – 21509 FM 16W, Lindale, TX 77571
- https://goo.gl/maps/V75J7DewYjS2 You can print directions by clicking on this link.
- For skeet shooting, please bring shotgun shells and sporting clay targets to share (preferably the White Flyer brand of targets because they are biodegradable).
- The handgun range will be open this year. Please bring targets to place out in the range.
(748 County Road 3909 Hawkins, TX 75765)
From Dallas: Take Interstate 20 East (I-20E) approximately 100 miles and take exit 562 (FM 14). Go north on FM 14 through Hawkins. Five (5) Miles North of Hawkins, turn right at the four-way stop onto FM 2869. Go 1.5 miles east on FM 2869 and you’ll see the Brookhaven sign on the left. Turn left onto CR 3909 (blacktop road) and proceed ¾ mile to the Retreat Center. When the road splits, keep straight to enter the Retreat’s parking lot.
For more information, please contact Tedd Klovstad.
Step 1: FILL OUT the Registration Form Step 2: Click Here to PAY